Psychological studies show that moving home is one of the most stressful life events, on a par with divorce and losing your job. But, with the right planning and organisation, you can take the anxiety out of moving.
Six weeks before move
- Decide on a moving date and book a date with Vantastic.
- Think about buying boxes. Try eBay for a full removal pack with packaging etc.
- Order household goods. Arrange delivery dates around your moving date.
- Arrange your utilities. Notify gas, electricity, water and other home suppliers of your move.
- Clear the clutter. Donate items you no longer want to local charity shops
- Think ahead. Draw up a plan of where you want furniture and items to go in your new home.
Two weeks before move
- Finalise moving day arrangements.
- Home insurance. Check your items will be covered during transit, or plan extra contents cover.
- Buy boxes from here
- Start packing. Put items such as books and CDs into boxes. Don’t forget to label what is in the box before you seal it.
- Don’t pack everything. Packing up essential or everyday items is a waste of time this early on.
- Take down fitted items. Pack mirrors, shelves and light fittings.
- Change your address. Arrange for mail to be redirected with the post office and inform banks and other correspondents.
- Subscriptions. Cancel newspaper, magazine and milk deliveries to your home.
- Set up suppliers for your new home. Compare the market and find the best value deal for gas and electricity, home phone, broadband and digital TV
- Arrange a time to pick up keys. You don’t want to be locked out on moving day.
The day before
- Pack essentials. Arrange a box with items you’ll need to hand on the day of the move.
- Move boxes downstairs. This will help you load your items quickly on the day.
- Label boxes. Mark on every box what it contains, and which room it came from.
- Confirm your booking with Vantastic.
- Don’t forget your clock. This is the item that’s most likely to be left behind accidentally.
- Organise paperwork. Keep legal documents and identification to hand for picking up keys etc.
- Last minute checks. Revisit each room one last time to check you’ve packed everything.
- Buy some bubbly. When the hard work is over, you can congratulate yourself on a well organised move.